Case Study

.
TEXT SIZE: Enlarge Reduce

Panama National Bank

Panama

Our History

OVER A CENTURY GROWING WITH PANAMA

Panama National Bank is closely related to the history of the Republic. It was founded at the beginning of our republican life as Mortage and Pledge Bank due to an inititative by the Legislative Representative Mr. Rodolfo Chiari, President Manuel Guerrero signed the institutional baptism document by means of Law 74, on June 13, 1904.

The bank opened its doors for the first time on October 12, 1904 with an initial capital of 500 thousand pesos in American gold. Its first directors, advisers and clients were some of the most respected and prestigious heroes of independence. Apart from granting mortages, the bank did discount transactions and received money deposits made by farm owners, cattle rearers and factory owners, and it was very demanding when requiring warrants from owners.

This bank provided loans that fostered the flowering national development. In 1911 the bank changed its name to Banco Nacional and consolidated itself as the engine of domestic production growth, especially for agriculture and cattle rearing. By 1919 the first branches were settled in the provinces. In 1956 the bank was named State Bank, but with a legal entity of its own, with autonomous authority in its inner management and under supervisión of the Executive Body.

Panama National Bank and its image have evolved. In 1965, the first logotype made of the national coat of arms was adopted. By 1974 the national colours were added and the bank was even more identified as a State Financial Institution. In 1983 the logotype that symbolizes the tower where the current offices of the headquarters was chosen. By 2006, the logotype and the image were renewed according to the new vision and dynamism of the Bank, and the three strips on the tower take the meaning of solidity, transparency and excellence.

“Panama National Bank is the Nation itself with all its resources and potencialities.” At the beginning of last century, Eusebio A. Morales conceived this phrase that summarizes in an eloquent way, what this institution is. This is so because Panama National Bank projects the true essence of Panama, since it supports initiatives that foster the economic and social development of the country in its role as:

*State Bank: As State Finantial Agent and official depositary of the funds of the Nation.

*Regulator Bank: In the management of the Compensation Chamber of the National Bank System, by giving the system a mechanism that regulates the flux of interbank documents.

*Private Bank: it is the institution with the biggest number of branches in the country, providing customers with all kinds of services. 

The bank opened its doors for the first time on October 12, 1904 with an initial capital of 500 thousand pesos in American gold. Its first directors, advisers and clients were some of the most respected and prestigious heroes of independence. Apart from granting mortages, the bank did discount transactions and received money deposits made by farm owners, cattle rearers and factory owners, and it was very demanding when requiring warrants from owners.

This bank provided loans that fostered the flowering national development. In 1911 the bank changed its name to Banco Nacional and consolidated itself as the engine of domestic production growth, especially for agriculture and cattle rearing. By 1919 the first branches were settled in the provinces. In 1956 the bank was named State Bank, but with a legal entity of its own, with autonomous authority in its inner management and under supervisión of the Executive Body.

Panama National Bank and its image have evolved. In 1965, the first logotype made of the national coat of arms was adopted. By 1974 the national colours were added and the bank was even more identified as a State Financial Institution. In 1983 the logotype that symbolizes the tower where the current offices of the headquarters was chosen. By 2006, the logotype and the image were renewed according to the new vision and dynamism of the Bank, and the three strips on the tower take the meaning of solidity, transparency and excellence.

“Panama National Bank is the Nation itself with all its resources and potencialities.” At the beginning of last century, Eusebio A. Morales conceived this phrase that summarizes in an eloquent way, what this institution is. This is so because Panama National Bank projects the true essence of Panama, since it supports initiatives that foster the economic and social development of the country in its role as:

*State Bank: As State Finantial Agent and official depositary of the funds of the Nation.

*Regulator Bank: In the management of the Compensation Chamber of the National Bank System, by giving the system a mechanism that regulates the flux of interbank documents.

*Private Bank: it is the institution with the biggest number of branches in the country, providing customers with all kinds of services.


See next case >

TEXT SIZE: Enlarge Reduce
< Go to CASE STUDY